We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
- 1 Best Yakima Bike Rack Reviews in 2020
- 1.1 1). Yakima DoubleDown 4 Bike Hitch Mount Rack Review
- 1.2 2). Yakima Viper Bike Rack Review
- 1.3 3). Yakima Raptor Bike Rack Review
- 1.4 4). Yakima BOA Bike Rack Review
- 1.5 View more Yakima Bike Racks on Amazon.com, the best choice for you.
Very few bike racks compare to the quality that a Yakima Bike rack brings to the table. It matters not whether you need a Yakima Roof Rack or a Yakima Hitch Bike rack they have you covered. With applications to cover just about any style of the amount in the industry, if you are looking for the best rack in the industry, then give Yakima a look.
Yakima has earned the reputation that they have by producing superb quality bike racks and accessories and meeting the needs of cycling enthusiasts everywhere. You will get what you pay for when it comes to your choice in bike racks and a Yakima bike rack will never have to make an apology for poor quality. Check out the reviews we have listed below to find the best Yakima Bike Rack for your needs.
Yakima has been providing quality protection to the bicycle industry for over 25 years. It’s no wonder that the DoubleDown series of hitch mounted bike racks are so popular. The DoubleDown offers the following features:
- Specially Designed Cradle To Reduce Wear And Damage – Yakima’s special cradle called the switchblade will keep your bikes from damaging themselves. Swaying can wear or even damage your favorite bike creating a bad day. Less sway means fewer worries for you and that means more enjoyable riding.
- Narrow Arms For Supporting Most Bikes – The arms on this carrier are narrow enough to fit most bikes. Some riders have reported that they have difficulty with the kids’ bikes. Usually, most get them on after a few minutes of trying them in different positions.
- Powder Coat Finish For Durability -This type of coating helps keep your rack looking good. It’s durable so it will withstand wear and tear. Although any coating overall does not weigh that much, the powder coat is lighter than paint therefore it does help in keeping the weight down.
- Versatility In-Vehicle Mounting – No need to worry about which size receiver you have. Yakima had the foresight to know the Class II and Class III mounts are the most widely used and included an adapter. You can easily change from a 2-inch hitch to a 1 1/4 inch hitch. Riding with a friend with a different size hidden tow mount is not a problem.
- Almost Anyone Can Move It – This unit is handled fairly easily. Weighing in at 37.5 pounds most anyone can move it around if swapping vehicles or needing to be removed for other activities.
- Proprietary Pin Is Frustrating But Offers Less Vibration – One complaint is that you have to use Yakima’s own hitch pin. What the upside is for this (and other manufacturers who do this) is that their special pin will cinch down on to the main tube. By doing this the amount of noise and vibration is reduced making a more comfortable ride for you and your passengers.
- Smooth Transport For Your Bikes – The Double Down is a stable and sturdy way to move around your rides. You will drive easy knowing that your bikes will ride smoothly through rush hour traffic or through backwoods roads.
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Yakima’s warranty is limited to the original owner of the product. Additionally, they will cover manufacturers defects but not wear and tear. They will not cover abuse either such as overloading and ramming it into that brick wall behind you. As long as you take care of your Yakima DoubleDown, it will take care of you for many many years.
The Yakima Viper is described as the company’s “mid-level” roof-mounted bike rack. The price point is lower than the King Cobra’s, but performance is not sacrificed a bit. Made with the same high-quality materials and industrial paint coatings, the Viper delivers features that make it a favorite among roof rack enthusiasts. The ergonomic design allows for easy, no-tool installation and single hand tightening of the skewer, which helps as you keep your ride in place with the other.
Once your bike is secured in the 39.5-inch tray, you can forget about it till you are ready to ride. The Viper will bite nicely on any factory-mounted crossbar, whether round or square and will allow room for 4 bikes on most vehicles. The system secures the front fork of your bike, providing superior security for trips to the park across town, or the National Park across the country.
- 9mm stainless steel, lockable, long-throw skewer
- Compatible with most disc brakes
- Fits a wide range of wheels and tires
- No-tool installation to avoid are my tools really
- Ergonomic lever for single-side adjustment
Who Should Buy a Yakima Viper Bike Rack?
The Yakima Viper will appeal to cyclists who prefer a roof rack system that doesn’t get in the way of vehicle storage compartments. And the fork-secured design offers a greater degree of safety for your bike. Families with a wide variety of bikes, from roadsters to mountain bikes, will appreciate the full range of tire widths the Viper bike tray can accommodate. This rack delivers affordable quality and reliability in every mount!
Yakima Viper Fork Mount Rooftop Bicycle Rack Deal Online on Amazon
Like all savvy manufacturers, Yakima provides a range of products that offers something for every budget. The Yakima Raptor is the most affordable upright roof rack in their inventory but maintains the quality and durability the line is known for. It’s still a Yak, after all.
The tray on the Raptor is a generous 52 inches, suitable for just about every cycle on the market. The tray secures nicely to any round or square roof crossbar and will keep your bike up and off the roof, protecting the vehicle’s paint job. The ratchet straps are firm and durable, and snug front and back wheels easily. The Raptor grabs your bike upright with an armature that can get a good grip on down tubes up to three inches in diameter, including non-round versions. Keep the hardware, nuts, and bolts clean and grease and rust should not be an issue.
- Capacity: 1 bike, up to 40 lbs at min of 18″ crossbar spread; or up to 30 lbs at min of 16″ crossbar spread.
- Weight: 13.00 lbs.
- Dimensions: L 56.00 in x W 7.00 in x H 7.50 in.
- Universal built-in hardware fits round, square, factory, and aerodynamic crossbars
- Zero contact with the bike frame.
- Carries your complete bike – no front wheel removal necessary
- Holds the bike upright
- No tools or assembly required for quick and easy install
- Fits 20” to 29” wheels
Who Should Buy a Yakima Raptor Bike Rack?
This may be the right rack for you if you are price conscious, need a good quality, basic unit, and prefer to mount on the roof. If you like your rack to be out of the way while loading your vehicle’s storage compartments, this is an extra bonus.
One note of caution: Yakima specifies that this unit is not to be used with bikes sporting a composite down tube. It that applies you, try the Boa or Cobra from Yakima.
Yakima Raptor Bike Racks for Sale Online on Amazon
The number one concern when considering a roof-mounted bike rack is the security of the cycles on the rack. Out of sight is not out of mind – just the opposite! But with the Yakima Boa, consumers are finding out they really can turn their bikes over to the Boa and forget them.
The Boa is Yakima’s most affordable system, composed of a rear tire tray and a front fork skewer that locks easily. Both fit any factory crossbars, round or square, and the tire tray pivots to create flexibility while you load other bikes or cargo onto the roof. This Boa is happy to squeeze tires of all widths, from road slicks to knobbed chubbies. And the unit fits crossbars from 32 to 50 inches apart, so if that describes your vehicle, this is a great choice. Since the two units comprising the system are very small and uninstall quickly, they can be removed and stored with ease before you hit the road, trail or mountainside.
- The Yakima Boa Bike Mount’s unique design will not constrict your budget, unlike the feathery fashion accessory that shares its name. It’s especially stupendous for mounting bikes to a Load Warrior basket but works great on crossbars too. And Coach doesn’t use the word ‘stupendous’ loosely. Coach does, however, use the word ‘meathead’ quite loosely.
- Features Pivoting wheel tray enables it to fit any crossbar spread between 32″ and 50″ Aerodynamic fork block fits round and square crossbars Fork attaches quickly and easily to lockable skewer (locks sold separately) Disc brake compatible This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don’t hate us.
Who Should Buy a Yakima Boa Bike Rack
The cyclist who mainly transports their ride short distances will do very well with the Boa. Because it does not feature a long tray like other Yak’s, it may not provide the same stability on long trips or over tough roads. But because of the price and convenience, great installation and storage features, this unit adorns the roofs of bikers everywhere.
Yakima Boa Bike Racks for Sale Online on Amazon.
View more Yakima Bike Racks on Amazon.com, the best choice for you.
Yakima is one of the most trusted names in the industry and we have tried to include a wide assortment of Yakima roof racks, Yakima hitch mount racks and Yakima Trunk-Mount racks for you to research. If by chance we have missed a Yakima Bike Rack that you are interested in then please go through the performance bike shop for reviews of the product to gain more insight into the product. You can also buy this bike carrier directly from the official product website.