- 1 Roof Bike Racks – Perfect for Mountain Ride
- 2 Best Roof Bike Rack Reviews
- 2.1 1). Thule Upride Roof Bike Rack
- 2.2 Who Should Buy a Thule Upride Roof Bike Rack
- 2.3 Buy Thule Roof Bike Racks Online on Amazon
- 2.4 2) SportRack SR4883 Upshift Roof Mount Upright Bike Carrier
- 2.5 Who Should Use the SportRack SR4883 Upshift Roof Mount Upright Bike Carrier
- 2.6 Sportrack Bike Racks Online on Amazon
- 2.7 3) Yakima Viper Bike Rack Review
- 2.8 Who Should Buy a Yakima Viper Bike Rack?
- 2.9 Yakima Viper Bike Racks Online on Amazon
- 2.10 4) Yakima Raptor Bike Rack Review
- 2.11 Who Should Buy a Yakima Raptor Bike Rack?
- 2.12 Yakima Raptor Bike Racks for Sale on Amazon
- 2.13 5) Yakima BOA Bike Rack Review
- 2.14 Who Should Buy a Yakima Boa Bike Rack
- 2.15 Yakima Boa Bike Racks for Sale on Amazon
- 2.16 Click on the Roof Bike Racks on Amazon to view more products for your best choice.
- 3 About Post Author
Roof Bike Racks – Perfect for Mountain RideThe need for a Bike Rack Almost all the active kids, youths and adults to some extend would like to take their bike along in their vehicles when they go for a picnic, outings and recreational sports activities or simply for a drive to the beach or mountains. This extension in your vehicles makes it easy to carry your bike where ever you go and reduce the expenses that you spend on hiring a bike. Types of Bike Racks If you are planning to shop for a bike rack, first understand a bit about it, as you are going to invest more than a hundred dollars for that purpose. Spend some time online to find out the information and options in bike rack types so that you can pick the one which fills your bill. There are two types of popular bike racks available. One is the Roof Bike Rack and another is the Rear Bike Racks. Depending upon your car model and the bike model you can pick anyone from these two. Advantages of Roof Bike Racks Although rear bike racks can be fitted easily with any type of vehicle, roof bike racks are preferred when driving to mountain areas. Besides the many other advantages of roof bike racks, it is the less mobility of the bike when placed on the top of the car makes it popular. Even though the terrain is not even and smooth, the bikes do not get damaged due to the ups and downs on the road. Because the set up for placing the bikes at the roof is secured and well fitted so that only minimal movement during driving is guaranteed. The proper fitting to mount the bike on the top ensures that it does not fall down over the bumps and pits. So it is ideal to choose a roof bike rack as it serves a versatile purpose. imple interface for switching carrier from one side of your car to the other that you can literally load your bike in about 10 seconds, so once the ride is done, you can load up and be gone quickly. Simply place your bike in the rack tray, lock the support arm onto the bicycle wheel, ratchet it tight and you are ready to go. Whether you ride a road bike, mountain bike or something in between, the Upride Roof Bike Rack can accommodate it and keep your bike safe and secure. The ratcheting arm mounts directly to the rock-solid Thule square load bars. Security is not an issue as you can lock your bicycle to the carrier and the carrier to the base rack using an add-on Thule lock but this is NOT included with the rack. This would be a nice touch for Thule to include with these roof racks but unfortunately, they do not. Our experience with the Thule 594 Sidearm is that the bikes are mounted quite solidly and exhibit very little swaying at all. Loading is super simple and the rack will easily accommodate wheels up to 20-29″ tall and 3 inches wide (up to 5″ with Thule UpRide Fat Bike Adapter, sold separately), which covers just about anything on the trail today.
- No bike frame contact, for fast and secure mounting and maximum frame protection.
- Versatile design accommodates bikes with non-traditional frame designs, rear suspension, and bottle cages
- Fits most 20-29″ wheel bicycles with tires up to 3″ wide
- Locks the bike to the bike rack and the bike rack to the vehicle (locks sold separately)
Who Should Buy a Thule Upride Roof Bike RackThis rack is a great choice for someone wanting the quality that Thule brings to the table combined with the simplicity of this particular rack design. Some riders have some concern with having a roof mounted rack but they have their pros and cons. The concern typically centers around driving into your garage with the bike mounted on the rack or possibly through a drive-through of some kind etc. Valid concern maybe but the pros are also many. Roof mount racks keep the bike up and out of harm’s way, it makes accessing your vehicle compartment much easier than a hitch mounted rack so it’s basically a trade-off. We’ve come to grow quite fond of roof mounted racks but it’s a decision that only you can make. If you are looking for a high-quality roof mounted rack, then we’d definitely endorse the Thule Upride Roof bike rack as the one you should take a look at.
Buy Thule Roof Bike Racks Online on AmazonWheel tray holds bike securely during transit. Thirdly, on the roof means out of the way. Lots of riders haul their bikes through town, to city parks or to ride the street scene. And they don’t want a bike in the rearview mirror obscuring their view while attempting to change lanes in traffic. The SportRack SR4883 Upshift Roof Mount Bike Carrier is an affordable bike transport solution that delivers on all these fronts with a rack that is made with high-quality materials and will hold your ride secure in its nicely padded, lockable grip. It allows users to haul their bikes atop their roof rack without having to remove its front tire. It provides maximum stability and protection through a variety of features.
- an adjustable upright support element with an ergonomic locking knob
- universal mounting hardware
- an adjustable wheel tray and locking functionality
- Lock included securing the bike to the carrier
- tool-free installation and a premium black finish
- Fits on SportRack Roof Rack Systems, square, round and most factory roof racks
Who Should Use the SportRack SR4883 Upshift Roof Mount Upright Bike CarrierThe SportRack SR4883 Roof mounted Upright Bike Rack will be most appreciated by urban riders who want the benefits of a roof mounted rack. And the design means you don’t have to remove the front wheel to lock the forks. That’s a hassle you can live without, and this unit will still keep your bike secure.
Sportrack Bike Racks Online on Amazon
- Simple tool-free installation and removal of the bike mount from your car roof rack
- Skewer design allows one-handed adjustment
- Streamlined tray compatible with most disc brakes and doesn’t touch the painted surfaces of your bike
- Lockable skewer that keeps your bike safe and sound (Yakima SKS Lock Cores sold separately).
- Product Dimensions:47 x 7.2 x 2 inches ; 5.4 pounds
- The tool-free installation is simple.
Who Should Buy a Yakima Viper Bike Rack?The Yakima Viper will appeal to cyclists who prefer a roof rack system that doesn’t get in the way of vehicle storage compartments. And the fork-secured design offers a greater degree of safety for your bike. Families with a wide variety of bikes, from roadsters to mountain bikes, will appreciate the full range of tire widths the Viper bike tray can accommodate. This rack delivers affordable quality and reliability in every mount!
Yakima Viper Bike Racks Online on Amazon
- FITS MOST BIKES: Fits 1″ to 3″ diameter downtubes
- Fits Yakima round, square, factory, or aerodynamic bars
- Lightweight construction and a streamlined profile
- RaptorAero is as easy to use as it is unassuming
- Tool-free installation
- SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) can be added to lock your bike to the mount and the mount to the base rack
- Weight: 7.40 lbs. Dimensions: L 52.00 in x W 9.00 in x H 25.50 in.
Who Should Buy a Yakima Raptor Bike Rack?This may be the right rack for you if you are price conscious, need a good quality, basic unit, and prefer to mount on the roof. If you like your rack to be out of the way while loading your vehicle’s storage compartments, this is an extra bonus. One note of caution: Yakima specifies that this unit is not to be used with bikes sporting a composite down tube. It that applies you, try the Boa or Cobra from Yakima.
Yakima Raptor Bike Racks for Sale on Amazon
- Pivoting wheel tray fits crossbar spreads 32″ to 50″
- Doesn’t touch the painted surfaces of your bike
- Fits round or square crossbars and great Yakima MegaWarrior or LoadWarrior Cargo Baskets
- Secures your bike with a long-throw skewer and a pivoting short wheel tray.