- 1 Best Car Bike Rack Reviews
- 2 Explore car bike rack
- 3 Here are some things to consider as you looking for your car bike rack:
- 4 Understanding Different Types of Car Bike Racks
- 4.1 1) Trunk Mounted Bike Racks
- 4.2 Pros and Cons of Saris Bones Trunk Bike Rack Carrier
- 4.3 2) Roof Mounted Bike Racks
- 4.4 3) Hitch Mounted Bike Racks
- 5 Share
- 6 About Post Author
Best Car Bike Rack Reviews
A car bike rack can give you the tool to make bicycling more fun and versatile and is an efficient way of transporting your bicycle anywhere you go. Wherever you go, you’re sure to find bike trails that will fun and adventurous and will give you the opportunity to get more exercise anywhere that you want. You will be able to bike anywhere that you want-from beaches to mountains to forests. Just load a bike on your car bike rack and go!
Explore car bike rack
The most common bike racks sold are bike racks for cars. This is because that is the most common vehicle we all own. However, there are different ways that a bike rack can be fitted to a car and you should keep this in mind before you choose the bike rack you want to buy.
Bike racks for cars are usually fitted to either the towbar, fitted to the spare tire holder on four-wheel drives or as bike roof racks. Depending on what kind of car you drive, and how many bikes you need to carry, one of these styles will best suit you.
The bike racks we sell are easy to install, so you can quickly take them off when you do not need them. There is also a range of accessories like brake lights and adaptors for special types of bikes. The majority of bike racks are either a single bar or an a-frame design for added strength. There are also quick-release options to make loading or unloading your bike simpler.
We have a large range of bike racks for cars available from our online store, so why not check them out and find the one which suits you.
You want to ensure that the car bike rack you decide is of high quality. There are a few reputable manufacturers to buy from and we will review some of them on this site. The car bike rack is what keeps your bike safe, so it is important to make this purchase decision carefully. Finding the right car bike rack is essential. There are some things that you will want to consider when choosing a car bike rack.
Here are some things to consider as you looking for your car bike rack:
What exactly do you need?
- Will you use the bicycle rack daily, on weekends, or just 1-2 times per month?
- Will it be just for your bike or will you have multiple bikes?
- Will it just be used on only one car or multiple cars in the family?
- Will the car bike rack be installed on a car your own or one that you rent?
- What is your budget?
- Is security important?
- Are you strong enough to lift a bike up over your head?
- Is your bike a special bike with an odd frame?
- Does the car you plan on installing the bike rack on already have a utility rack on the roof?
- Do you have a spare tire mounted on the back of your car?
Understanding Different Types of Car Bike Racks
Car Bike racks come in three basic styles, and the key to choosing the right one is to match the rack style with your lifestyle. Here are some of the different types of Car Bike Racks and an overview of the option:
1) Trunk Mounted Bike Racks
Trunk-mounted racks use adjustable straps to hold the frame to the vehicle’s trunk, hatchback, or rear bumper. Padding along the contact points of the frame prevents damage from rubbing. The arms of the frame feature straps or cradles that hold the bike(s) in place. Up to four bikes fit on larger racks.
The advantages of trunk-mounted units begin at a relatively low price. They are the most affordable of the styles. Secondly, they are easy to install once the straps are adjusted to the specific vehicle. Thirdly, they are flexible and will attach to most vehicles. Finally, they are easy to load and the bike(s) can be quickly secured.
The biggest disadvantage of a trunk-mounted rack is the potential for damage to the vehicle. The combined weight of the bikes rests on panels, which may cause denting or scraping. Next, the rack must be unloaded and removed to access the vehicle’s cargo area. Finally, bikes on the rack may block the rear view of the driver.
The Saris Bones Trunk Bike Rack Carrier is a trunk mount rack that has an innovative arc-based design that separates bikes to different levels and unique dog leg fits over most spoilers of many cars including those on popular sedans hatchbacks and SUVs. It utilizes contact with the rear bumper of the vehicle for support and is an easy way to transport your bike with your car. It comes assembled Includes bike hold-down straps and anti-sway straps. The straps are a very sturdy design. It is highly adjustable and will fit a wide range of vehicles. It can hold up two bikes by the VIP Treatment premium bike, making direct contact with the frame, and is best suited to carrying road bikes and hardtail mountain bikes with more traditional frame shapes.
Features of Saris Bones Trunk Bike Rack Carrier:
- Colors: Black
- Package Dimensions : 22.4 x 19.1 x 9 inches; 13 Pounds
- Hold up two bikes (35lbs/bike)
- Lightweight at 11lbs.
- Articulated rubber feet to protect the paint.
- The arc-based design separates bikes on different levels
- Strong & Rust-Free injection-molded arms and legs
- Built with 100% recyclable materials.
- Easily fits a wide range of vehicles including sedans, hatchbacks, SUVs, and minivans
- VIP Treatment premium bike hold downs that are easy to use and quick to load.
- Cradle design accommodates most bicycle frame designs
Yakima KingJoe 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack
- Ultra-sturdy, trunk-mounted 3-bike rack with sturdy steel construction;
- Ideal for hatchbacks, minivans, and SUVs
- Integrated StableCradles hold bikes securely
- Arms fold away for easy storage
- QuickTrigger hub system for fast or easy installation
- One-piece premium padded feet and labeled padded metal buckles protect your car’s paint job
- Product Dimensions: 24.5 x 10.3 x 29.1 inches
View more Trunk Mounted Bike Racks on Amazon.com, the best choice for you.[table “18” not found /]
2) Roof Mounted Bike Racks
Roof-mounted racks consist of a tray that is usually affixed to the vehicle’s OEM crossbars. The bike is then secured to the rack with straps around the tires, or by the front fork.
Advantages begin with the versatility of these racks. They can be used in combination with roof-mounted cargo carriers, for example. In addition, most vehicles will have enough room for 3 to 7 units and bikes. Finally, many drivers like having the bike(s) out of sightlines.
The most common complaint about roof racks is that they are the hardest to load, since the bike must be hoisted all the way to the roof, and held stable while it is secured. Secondly, bikes on the roof will create a clearance problem for parking in garages or accessing some drive-throughs.
These carriers attach to a vehicle’s established roof stand or crossbars–found on many SUVs, minivans, and others. These sorts of racks use your current roof rack rails to mount the bike to your car. There are quite a few varieties on the market that accomplish this task in different ways however they all have the exact same fundamental operate. The upside is always that this sort of bicycle rack puts the bike up and from the way in which of anything. The downside is that bikes may be really large and challenging to lift as much as the roof of your car. You also require to look at for very low hanging overhead objects.
- The actual rack may be used for numerous actions, such as skiing and water-skiing if you purchase various accessories or even carriers, or transporting additional objects like building supplies
- Lockable mounting available
- A sedan might hold 4 bikes, a sizable van as many as seven
- Could be somewhat complex to set up
- The vehicle can’t go into car parking garages or structures with low clearance. Even fast-food restaurants
- Increases wind resistance decreasing fuel usage
- Can be tough to lift the bike up
Yakima ForkLift Fork Rooftop Mount Bike Rack
- Fits bikes that use standard 100 mm x 9 mm quick release front hubs
- Sliding wheel tray is easy to adjust and allows for a wide range of bike lengths; Carries 1 bike up to 35 lbs.
- Crossbar spread a minimum of 16″ and a maximum of 42″;
- ForkLift holds the bike by the front axle and the rear wheel;
- Add SKS (Same Key System) locks (sold separately) to secure your bike to the rack and the rack to the vehicle
- Product Dimensions: 54 x 6 x 6 inches.
- Simple tool-free installation and removal of the bike mount from your car roof rack
- Skewer design allows one-handed adjustment
- Streamlined tray compatible with most disc brakes and doesn’t touch the painted surfaces of your bike
- Lockable skewer that keeps your bike safe and sound (Yakima SKS Lock Cores sold separately).
- Product Dimensions: 47 x 7.2 x 2 inches
View more Roof Mounted Bike Racks on Amazon.com, the best choice for you.
Hitch-mounted units fit into the receiver on the vehicle’s hitch. Some feature upright support and horizontal arm on which the bikes are secured. Other hitch-mounted units use a platform or tray system that bikes rest on.
The advantages include easy installation of the hitch and quick loading of bikes with very little lifting. And since the weight of the bikes is on the hitch, there is less likelihood of vehicle panels being damaged. Most do not require removing the front wheel of the bike, as with some roof-mounts.
The disadvantages start with the added expense of the hitch if your vehicle does not already have one. Secondly, with a single securing point, poorer quality racks suffer from instability on rough roads. Damage to bikes or the vehicle may result. Finally, some models need to be removed before the vehicle hatch or trunk can be opened.
Hitch-mount racks come in different sizes for all different car sizes. Some hitch-mount racks secure the actual bicycles within mounting “trays”. These types of bicycle racks mount to the hitch receiver on your car or truck and can maintain anyplace from two bikes up to as many as six bikes that I have noticed. The pros of this style of the rack are that they’re prevalent, economical and quick to install. The downside is that they are able to allow it to be tough to obtain to the rear trunk or hatch area which may be a discomfort.
- Easy to install–just slide it into the hitch
- Usually not required to take off the front tires to mount bikes
- Simpler to lift in addition to secure bikes in place
- Much less chance of scratching vehicle’s paint whenever installation bikes
- The added expense of truck hitch, if the automobile does not have one
- You may need to drill holes
- If license plate or even taillights are blocked, you could get a ticket
- May require additional attachments to support odd-framed bicycles
- May block owner’s view out of back again window.
Saris Bones Ex Trunk Bike Rack Carrier
Familiar with the previous original Saris Bones design, the new version by Saris is Bones EX Trunk Bike Rack Carrier offers all the practicality of previous models but now expand its vehicle compatibility to fit 20 percent more vehicles than its legendary predecessor. Particularly the only major difference to previous Bones carriers is a unique arched leg design to the two upper legs with built-in strap guides which gracefully avoids contact with most plastic spoilers found on many of the popular sedans, hatchbacks, and SUVs, allows it to fit on vehicles with rear spoilers. Add some upgrades, equipment with some premium bike tie-downs, and a streamlined strap management system, you have got one of the best three-bike rear-mounted cycle carriers on the market.
Features of Saris Bones Ex Trunk Bike Rack Carrier:
- The rack carries 3 bikes (35/bike)
- Lightweight at 11 lbs.
- Built with 100% recyclable materials.
- The arc-based design fits over most spoilers and separates bikes on different levels
- Bike hold-downs are easy to use and quick to load
- Integrated strap management eliminates flapping straps
- Unique dog leg fits over most spoilers, including those on popular sedans, hatchbacks, and SUVs.
- Premium bike hold downs that are easy to use and quick to load.
- Best-in-class ratchet straps speedily fasten the bike to the rack.
- Strongest frame on the market.
- Rust-free injection molded arms and legs.
- Articulated rubber feet to protect the paint.
- Arc–based design separates bikes on different levels.
Here is a video that does a great job of explaining how to install a Saris Bones 3 bike rack.
Pros and Cons of Saris Bones Ex Trunk Bike Rack Carrier
The price seemed reasonable for the great quality of the bike rack.
Easy to install and solid.
Very sturdy and durable
The rack is easy to mount, sturdy, and well designed
It is very easy to put on and take off.
Easy to install on the vehicle.
Arms and straps are a little fiddly to adjust evenly at first
Bike Hitch Mount Rack – Thule 958 Parkway 2
- Soft rubber cradles protect bike frame while holding it securely.
- Tilts away from vehicle for trunk, hatch or tailgate access
- High-strength steel construction
- Snug-Tite receiver lock and locks the hitch rack to the vehicle
- 6 ft. Braided Steel Cable.
- Locks bikes to the carrier
- Product Dimensions: 39 x 16 x 10 inches
- Carries up to 4 bikes
The Thule Parkway 2-Bike Hitch Carrier Rack is an easy-to-use entry-level bike carrier that safely and conveniently transports up to 4 bikes. Hooking right into your vehicle’s existing 2-inch hitch receiver, it makes getting your bicycles to and from…
View more Hitch Mounted Bike Racks on Amazon.com, the best choice for you.
Please go through the performance bike shop for reviews of the product to gain more insight into the product. You can also buy this bike carrier directly from the official product website.
Click on the Explore bike racks for cars on Amazon to view more products for your best choice.